JUDGEMENT DAY is back at the Principality Stadium in April – the Guinness PRO14 double-header will see Wales’ Rugby World Cup heroes collide in Cardiff in regional colours at the home of Welsh rugby. The Ospreys take on the Dragons at 3pm and Scarlets welcome the Cardiff Blues at 5.15pm as the two teams from the West play host for the first time in the eight year history of the event.
JUDGEMENT DAY VIII sees both Ospreys and Scarlets nominated as the ‘home side’ in the climactic, potentially season-defining, clashes for the first time – meaning their players transfer to the more commonly used international dressing rooms on the ‘tunnel’ side of the Stadium.
Last year the Welsh Rugby Union and regions moved to secure the future of Judgement Day, agreeing a new partnership until 2022 which ensures all four entities benefit directly financially from the agreement, where previously only the home teams gained from ticket income.
All four now play a home game at Principality Stadium as part of Judgement Day in alternate seasons and 80% of the ticket profits for the event are split between the two nominated home sides, with the two away teams receiving 20%.
‘Home’ season ticket holders, so Ospreys and Scarlets fans, gain free entry, whilst Dragons fans need to purchase tickets and reminded that this game does not form part of Season Memberships this season.
Gareth Davies is the WRU Chairman, he said………
“Judgement Day is not only a showpiece event for the Guinness PRO14, but it is also an annual celebration of the domestic game in Wales,”
“Set against the backdrop of Wales’ World Cup campaign in Japan, not to mention the 2020 Guinness Six Nations and whatever twists and turns that may hold for the international side, JDVIII is the chance for our star players to compete on home soil in regional colours.”
“The event showcases the best of Welsh rugby at one venue and is always fascinating. Arriving as it does in Round 17 of the league campaign, when all four teams should still have play-off spots to play for, it has the potential to be even bigger and better this year.”
Judgement Day regularly attracts crowds well in excess of 50,000, with the record attendance for the event – and any PRO14 game – standing at 68,262 set in 2016.
There is something really special about JUDGEMENT DAY and this one will be no exception. It’s not just what happens on the pitch but everything going on around it. For example……
Ospreys in the Community have teamed up with White Rock Events to launch their first charity bike ride. On Saturday JD VIII day, 18th April. All tracks, quite literally lead to Cardiff On that day they’ll be holding their first charity bike ride from the Liberty Stadium to the home of Welsh Rugby in time for the big derby! Riders over the age of 14 of all abilities can get involved in supporting the cause in this unique cycling experience.
All money raised will go towards sustaining the great work done in the local communities by Ospreys in the Community. Supporting people to make positive life changes through the power of sport and conversation. They work to improve lives by working with others to create a range of programmes that sit within four core values: education, health, sport, and inclusion.
Ospreys in the Community is a not-for-profit foundation working in close partnership with Ospreys Rugby. They share a strong relationship and form a key part of the Ospreys’ Strategy. They operate independently to the professional rugby organisation. Their aim is to create a vibrant and sustainable foundation and harness the power of the Ospreys to make a positive difference in our communities. They hope to encourage boys and girls of all ages and abilities to make positive life choices.
Each rider must raise a minimum of £250. This year, vice-chair, Grant Berni will be taking part in the inaugural OitC Judgement Day charity bike ride. He’s a keen cyclist and just as keen to watch the game. He says………….
“this is a perfect day out for me- cycling, rugby and maybe a beer or two – all whilst raising money for Ospreys in the community!”
To see the sort of stuff Ospreys in the Community do, take a look at the video below. And if you’d like to find out more about the charity cycle ride, go here. OSPREYS
JUDGEMENT DAY VIII is coming to the Principality Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday 18th April. Gates open at 1:30 and the action begins at 3pm. General prices will be £25 middle tier (£10 U16s concession) and £15 for both lower and upper tier adult tickets (including Alcohol Free Zone), you may still be able to find some of the early special offers – £10 adults and £5 U16. The stadium also have some pretty awesome Hospitality [packages for the day too. To find out more, and get your tickets, go here. JUDGEMENT
Finally, here’s the remainder of the Guinness Pro 14 matches this year……
- ROUND 14
- Friday, March 20
- CONNACHT v SCARLETS (7.35pm) ULSTER v DRAGONS (7.35pm)
- Saturday, March 21
- CARDIFF BLUES v ZEBRE (3pm) SOUTHERN KINGS v EDINBURGH (3pm) CHEETAHS v LEINSTER (5pm) OSPREYS v GLASGOW (5.15pm) BENETTON v MUNSTER (6.15pm)
- ROUND 15
- Friday, March 27
- SOUTHERN KINGS v LEINSTER (7.15pm) GLASGOW v ULSTER (7.35pm) MUNSTER v BENETTON (7.35pm)
- Saturday, March 28
- SCARLETS v DRAGONS (3pm) CHEETAHS v EDINBURGH (5pm) CARDIFF BLUES v OSPREYS (5.15pm) ZEBRE v CONNACHT (6.15pm)
- ROUND 16
- Friday, April 10
- CONNACHT v GLASGOW (7.35pm) EDINBURGH v BENETTON (7.35pm)
- Saturday, April 11
- MUNSTER v CARDIFF BLUES (3pm) SOUTHERN KINGS v SCARLETS (4pm) LEINSTER v ZEBRE (5.15pm) CHEETAHS v OSPREYS (6.15pm) DRAGONS v ULSTER (7.35pm)
- ROUND 17
- Friday, April 17
- GLASGOW v CHEETAHS (7.35pm) BENETTON v CONNACHT (8.05pm)
- Saturday, April 18
- OSPREYS v DRAGONS (Judgement Day, 3pm) ZEBRE v SOUTHERN KINGS (4pm) SCARLETS v CARDIFF BLUES (5.15pm) LEINSTER v MUNSTER (5.30pm)
- ROUND 18
- Friday, April 24
- BENETTON v SCARLETS (7.05pm) DRAGONS v LEINSTER (7.35pm) EDINBURGH v OSPREYS (7.35pm)
- Saturday, April 25
- CHEETAHS v ZEBRE (4pm) MUNSTER v GLASGOW (5.15pm) CARDIFF BLUES v SOUTHERN KINGS (7.35pm) CONNACHT v ULSTER (7.35pm)
- ROUND 19
- Friday, May 8
- CARDIFF BLUES v CONNACHT (7.35pm) ULSTER v GLASGOW WARRIORS (7.35pm)
- Saturday, May 9
- CHEETAHS v DRAGONS (2pm) SOUTHERN KINGS v BENETTON (4pm) OSPREYS v ZEBRE (5.15pm) EDINBURGH v MUNSTER (5.30pm) SCARLETS v LEINSTER (7.45pm)
- ROUND 20
- Friday, May 15
- GLASGOW v OSPREYS (7.35pm) LEINSTER v CARDIFF BLUES (7.35pm)
- Saturday, May 16
- SOUTHERN KINGS v DRAGONS (4pm) ZEBRE v ULSTER (4pm) SCARLETS v MUNSTER (5.15pm) CHEETAHS v BENETTON (6.15pm) CONNACHT v EDINBURGH (7.35pm)
- ROUND 21
- May 29-30
- BENETTON v ZEBRE DRAGONS v CARDIFF BLUES EDINBURGH v GLASGOW WARRIORS MUNSTER v CONNACHT OSPREYS v SCARLETS CHEETAHS v SOUTHERN KINGS ULSTER v LEINSTER