Having the CELTIC MANOR RESORT in Newport on our South Wales doorstep is a real boost for our local economy. Over the years it’s played host to some of the biggest events in the world. There was the RYDER CUP GOLF in 2010 and the NATO SUMMIT in 2014, to name but two.
Now it seems the Resort is becoming famous for hosting YOUR WEDDING in whichever year you choose. It has just been declared as the fifth most popular wedding venue in the world and second in the UK.
The new research conducted by money.co.uk looked at TripAdvisor (TA) reviews and Instagram hashtags to find the UK’s and the world’s best wedding destinations. The Celtic Manor Resort came 2nd in the UK and 5th in the world for best wedding destinations.
The top 10 most popular wedding destinations in the world:
|Rank||City||Country||Most Popular Venue||TA Mentions||Instagram #s|
|2||Honolulu||US||Moana Surfrider, A. Westin Resort and Spa||504||79,459|
|5||NEWPORT||WALES||CELTIC MANOR RESORT||411||55,823|
|6||San Fransisco||US||San Fransisco City Hall||208||48,413|
|8||San Antonio||US||Hotel Emma at Pearl||185||26,580|
|9||Antalya||Turkey||Titanic Beach Lara||59||24,587|
|10||New Orleans||US||Hotel Monteleone||332||19,940|
So, it would seem The Celtic Manor Resort is the perfect location for tapping into your romantic side, situated in the beautiful Usk Valley at the gateway to South Wales, offering stunning views across its 2,000 acres.
From the stately charm of the 19th Century Manor House to the breath-taking views at the Golf Clubhouse, and from the intimate luxury of the Hunter Lodges to the opulent chandeliers and spacious elegance of the Caernarfon Ballroom, the resort has ceremony and reception venues to suit all wedding needs.
We’ve checked out what’s on offer, with the latest price list and menus taking you through to 2024. You can find out more HERE.
The resort isn’t only one hotel. it is an entire suite of properties and facilities known as The Celtic Collection. It is prestigious family of experience-focused UK business and leisure destinations. Born from the legacy of the world-renowned Celtic Manor Resort, the group’s flagship destination situated in the beautiful Usk Valley at the gateway to South Wales, the Celtic Collection brings together premium accommodation with exemplary service and world-class facilities.
Each of its resort and hotel venues is unique, with its own style and personality, but at the heart of every one is the quality and unparalleled experience associated with the iconic Celtic Manor Resort brand.
You can take a look at a couple of our features on the collection properties.
And to finish, we’ve put together ten things you may not know about the Celtic Manor Resort.
- The earliest record of a building on the resort site was 1634, when it was the residence of the High Sheriff of Monmouthshire, Lewis Van.
- The manor house was built in 1860 by Thomas Powell, the largest coalmine owner in the South Wales coalfield, the world’s biggest coal exporter and the first coal millionaire. Powell’s son, Thomas Powell Jnr, and his bride Julia Jenkins were given the mansion as a wedding gift when they married in 1859. They named it Coldra Hall.
- The resort, owned by Sir Terry Matthews, is located on the south-facing side of Christchurch Hill in eastern Newport, overlooking Junction 24 of the M4.
- Sir Terry bought the Manor House in 1980, investing £100m in a redevelopment and refurbishment project. The house was renovated, retaining all its best older features. Initially with 17 bedrooms, the Celtic Manor Hotel opened in 1982.
- The golf courses extend over the ridge and down the north-facing side of the hill into the Vale of Usk, with views up to the Wentwood escarpment.
- Celtic Manor Resort is one of Europe’s finest destinations for luxury escapes, family breaks, golfing getaways and business events. Host venue for the 2010 Ryder Cup and the 2014 NATO Summit.
- The resort is set in more than 2,000 acres of panoramic parkland at the gateway to South Wales and has been voted the UK’s Best Hotel at the Meetings & Incentive Travel Awards for eight of the last nine years.
- In September 2019, The Celtic Collection opened the new International Convention Centre Wales (ICC Wales) in a joint venture partnership with Welsh Government. ICC Wales can hold more than 5,000 delegates at a time and includes a 4,000 sq m pillar-free main hall, a 1,500-seat auditorium and an additional 15 flexible meeting rooms.
- In addition, the Collection includes a choice of nine restaurants, three championship golf courses, exceptional spas and health clubs, adventure golf, treetop high ropes course, fishing and tennis courts.
- To prepare for the 2010 Ryder Cup, The Twenty Ten Course, designed by Ross McMurray, was built, as part of a £16 million development. This was the first golf course in history to be purpose-built for the event. The development included a 120-metre-long £2m twin-suspension bridge.
This fact may not be fact at all, but we think it is.
Many years ago, when we were hosting a Millennium event at the Resort, we were told the dragons which adorn the entrance around the check-in area, cost £1 million EACH to have made. Next time you’re there, take a look at them, they are really impressive and sometimes overlooked.